Followers

Monday, November 12, 2012

Sindoor Khela

Sindoor khela is part and parcel of the last day of celebrations of the Durga Puja. This is performed in front of the idol of the Goddess before she departs for her in-laws place. The sindoor (vermilion) is a mark of married life and applied on the forehead. On this day married women apply sindoor to the idol of the goddess and then every married woman goes around applying it on each other’s forehead and on iron bangles. The significance of this ritual is to pray for longevity of the life of the husband and peace and prosperity of the family. The color red signifies matrimonial bliss among Hindus. 






18 comments:

  1. Beautiful tradition thanks for sharing.

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info. What a beautiful tradition.

    My Blues are here and here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like everyone is enjoying the celebration. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting tradition.

    My Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calling by from Our World Tuesday, I enjoyed sharing your world here with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for this view into your red world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a joyful, fun holiday! I love your captures for the day!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting traditions, I've only seen such scene on tv .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in favor of bliss. some seem to be having more fun than others, tho
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matrimonial bliss, huh? I better slather red over all my body then, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing your tradition; I love the blissfulness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What enjoyment comes through your photographs. The colour red seems propitious in many cultures.
    Joy - ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots of color Red! Absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the story and the tradition what a great way to honor this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, they are both and what a wonderful tradition... Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #57!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting. Best wishes to the new couples...my photo hunt is up and the coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of the pic???? Critical evaluation is welcome...... Would give me great pleasure to hear from all you photography lovers.