Followers

Monday, November 05, 2012

Celebration : Durga Immersion 2012

Durga Puja marks its close every year on Dussehra with the immersion of the Durga Idol. The idols are taken in a truck to the river with a lot of pomp and splendor. A lot of dancing happens on the way there. Men and women dance the dhunuchi dance to the beats of the dhak (drum) other dance forms not ever heard of or seen...... also takes place. I am going to be in trouble for saying this.  All in all a fun time with lots of fun happening and everyone enjoying. This is always my last photographic memory of Durga puja. I never take pics after this because it is always very sad to see Ma go back!!! The waiting is fun....... The time she is here is fabulous...... the immersion is fun........ but all fun of the festive ends right here!!!


On the truck with the dhaki (drummer) 

Ma in the truck in the traffic going to the river for immersion.

The procession.


Dancing to the beats of the dhak (drum). This dance form is unheard of :-D :-D :-D



Little girls dance in the procession. Dhunuchi dance by men and women to the beats of the dhak (drum)


16 comments:

  1. What a colorful festival. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Blue Monday, Ranu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome shots. You've captured all activities in the festival perfectly. So colorful and full of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. I feel like I was there
    http://www.mariasspace.com/2012/11/oh-some-blues-on-cold-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. great photos!the people looks they enjoyed dancing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much happiness in these pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  6. such joyful activities - love the 'new' dance! I was hoping to see the actual immersion, but I understand your reluctance....so glad your time with your mum was so wonderful....thanx for sharing part of your culture and tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Here here' to Joanne's comment, we should share, dance more together!! So lovely to see these images this morning thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can feel the immense joy!!!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a colorful, joyous celebration. Thanks for this peek of new-to-me traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your culture and your beautiful photos. As I told you I am an associate of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Kentucky and we have many sisters from India. They are here often and I count them as some of my greatest friends. I have many Indian art pieces and fabrics in my home. The first mission they started way back in 1950 was in Behar.So enjoy your posts.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific sharing of your cultural celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a ton of fun. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of the pic???? Critical evaluation is welcome...... Would give me great pleasure to hear from all you photography lovers.